Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Training and First Shift!


Today was exciting! I reported to Creekside (the part of Whistler where all the Alpine Skiing events are being held) for 9 AM. It was the first time that I used my accreditation to get through security (called Mag and Bag) - no problems! There was training for any new Alpine volunteers - everyone has to do a 2 hour orientation before they can begin work. It was very informative with a big emphasis on Health and Safety (which I do a lot of as a co-op teacher!).

Here are some numbers: 2400 volunteers working on the Alpine Skiing venue, 1200 working on the course (course crew - me, slippers, gate judges, dye crew, stewards, etc...), 550 course crew on the Ladies and 540 course crew on the Men's - that's a heck of a lot of people!

When training was done I called my Crew Chief - Mike Sheppard from Ottawa - who said that there wasn't much going on this afternoon and they didn't need me. Since we were all done by 10:30 I suggested to my new friend Nelda Robbins from New Brunswick that we ride up the gondola to mid-station to get oriented. We rode up the gondola without our skis and took tons of pictures of the race course below. At the top of the gondola - called mid-station - there is a large tent for volunteers where they serve soup and hot and cold beverages. We had a great lunch and I met up with a number of people from Ottawa. We "downloaded" on the gondola, did a little grocery shopping - then Mike called to say - we need you at 3:30 today - I said Ya Hooo!!!

In order to kill some time until 3:30 Nelda and I went up to the condo she is staying at - really high up on Creekside in a beautiful condo that VANOC is providing for volunteers - there are 6 staying in the condo. Getting up there was quite fun - we took a shuttle - very difficult to drive in Whistler as there is no parking! The shuttle bus driver was a retired bus driver from Toronto who knew nothing about Whistler - I read the map to him as he drove - very funny!!

I got back down to Creekside put my ski stuff on and met my crew to head up on the mountain. It snowed a bit today and we had to clear the snow off the course with rakes. Our team of 5 had a section of the course to clear - we spent a couple of hours working at that - very physical work! Good thing I have been working out! There was so much snow to clear that we used a snow blower on the course! We headed down in the semi-dark - skiing beside the race course to the bottom of the mountain!
I am really tired as I was up very early this morning - not adjusted to BC time yet - I need to be at Creekside for 6:15 AM tomorrow morning - the first training runs for the Ladies Super Combined (Downhill and Slalom combined together) is happening - there is a lot of work to be done on the course so that it is ready to go. Luckily we will be a "later" crew - the early crew needs to report at 4 AM! It will be very exciting to see the ladies in action tomorrow on the race course - today the men were only able to get half the field down before fog rolled in and they cancelled the run. Hopefully the weather will co-operate tomorrow and the ladies will all have a training run.
Unfortunately the battery in my camera ran out today - I will try to get more shots of the course crew in action tomorrow! I really hope that you are enjoying my blog - I am having fun writing it! The pictures that I have on the slide show are also on Picassa - with captions - at:
Thanks for sharing my Olympic Adventure with me!

4 comments:

  1. I love living the Olympic dream through you Janie Mac...great blog, awesome pics, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,

    Thanks for the blog; we are all captivated!
    We'll track you down on Monday when we arrive.

    Thanks

    Kim and Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane, Awesome blog...look out for Don Lyon he is coaching the Womens Speed Events Foreruners!
    Have FUN..."look at the view"
    Jeep & Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy every moment Jane... a dream come true. Just proves that is your believe it you will achieve it. I'm so excited for you and can only imagine how you must feel being right in the center of everything... the energy must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete