Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Beautiful Day for a Ski and Men's Race Day!



Monday I did some orgnaizing of my stuff - sent a box of things that I don't need home and did some grocery shopping. Headed down to Creekside about noon to go free skiing - with poles - haven't used them in 2 weeks!


Went over on the Peak to Peak - a gondola that spans the valley between Whislter and Blackcomb - this was only completed in 2008 so I had never taken it before. It was spectacular! I waited for one of 2 glass bottom gondolas so I could see straight to the valley floor - breathtaking! On Blackcomb I took a run on one of my all time favourites - Cloud Nine - then headed over to Jersey Cream. Then back to Whislter to catch the Peak Chair up to Whistler Peak. I knew that not only did I have some free time to ski but that it would be my last chance in good weather to see the things that I wanted to. My short tour was great!



Today, Tuesday, we loaded at 8:00 AM - our main tasks were to clean up the upper part of the race course that is not being used. We brought down a lot of different equipment that we picked up on the hill as well as loading the safety netting onto cribs that the groomers would transport down the hill. It was a busy and productive day.



Today was also race day for the men. They had their Giant Slalom race today. Patrick Biggs (see picture above) from Ottawa and a Camp Fortune Ski Club member was racing. Slalom is his specialty, he did not qualify for the Olympic slalom but was entered in the GS. The Canadians didn't do very well but were not expected to. I saw Patrick and spoke with him a couple of times today. Now that the speed races are over it is fun to see the racers from all kinds of different countries such as India, Senegal, Pakistan, South Africa, Grand Caymen, etc... They are not very good racers and would never qualify to race in a world cup but because it is the Olympics and each country can enter 4 athletes they are able to compete. Some countries, such as Grand Caymen, have only one athlete that skis - therefore they get to go to the Olympics!

Tomorrow, Wednesday, is the GS race for the ladies. We have a 5 AM load time on the Gondola. The forecast is calling for a bit of snow tonight but 5 to 10 cm tomorrow. We will be spending a lot of our day shoveling snow and clearing the race course of snow.
Here are the pictures from Monday and Tuesday:
3 days left - I don't want my incredible adventure to end!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you Jane!! Not only are you an amazing teacher but such an inspiration to us all not to mention your own children. You are teaching your children to live each day and always dream.... they do come true!! Pop by the school when you can. I'm sorry to see your adventure end but can't wait to give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete